Parita is the oldest indigenous Spanish settlement in the Azuero region, since it was founded in 1558 as a result of the suppression of the Indian mission by the Mayor of Natá, as decreed by the Spanish Crown on March 21, 1551. Among its founders were Don Juan Ruiz de Monjaraz and the Dominican friar Pedro de Santa Maria. This means that this year Parita will celebrate 454 years since its foundation, which ranks it as one of the oldest populations in the country.
Parita preserves the legacy of the colonial era practically intact. The exact date of its foundation is uncertain, and it was not until 1937 that August 18 was established as the official date of this celebration. Parita preserves its ancient church as a symbol of its history, which dates back to the 17th and 18th centuries. Priests and notable persons were buried in this church, as was the custom in those days. In addition, the town has an enormous colonial plaza, surrounded by brick houses, some of which also date to the 18th century. Most of these houses have high porches that were transformed into bleachers to watch bull fights and other activities of the patron saint festival. Parita is named after the Indian chief Paris, who lived in those parts.
The town of Parita is 4 hours from Panama City, towards the southwest of the country.
How to arrive?
Bus: Take a bus from the National Grand Transportation Station in Panama City.
Car: Take the Interamerican Highway. Once you pass Divisa, continue on the Azuero highway to the town of Parita.
Taxi: The area of Parita has special service taxis, as well as intercity bus services from other towns in the Azuero Peninsula.
What to bring?
Celebration of Holy Week