The Amador Causeway is a road that connects the mainland of Panama City with four islands in the Pacific Ocean that form a small archipelago. These islands are Naos, Perico, Culebra and Flamenco. The road begins in an area near the southern entrance of the Panama Canal, nearby the township of Ancón.
This causeway was built in 1913, with rocks excavated from Snake Cut during construction of the Panama Canal. The site was originally part of a U.S. military complex known as Fort Amador, established to protect the entrance to the canal. After these areas were reverted under the Torrijos-Carter Treaty, the place was transformed into a thriving tourist attraction. Some vestiges of the military installations can still be seen on the islands.
The Amador Causeway is located next to the Bridge of the Americas, 15 minutes from Panama City.
How to arrive?
Bus:Buses are boarded at the Plaza 5 de Mayo.
Taxi:From Albrook Terminal or Plaza 5 de Mayo, there are taxis that can provide transportation to locals or tourists.
What to bring?
Skate or roller blade